10 reasons to learn French
Let's get started! Allons-y !
Bonjour, my name is Annick. I am a French teacher living in Malaysia. Well, I used to be. Unfortunately, I now live deep in the jungle, and students are hard to come by... Enable to share my passion for my language, I've decided to prepare my own French programs and share them with the world online!
Today, I'd like to give you 10 reasons why learning French is an AWESOME asset:
1) It's the simplest language to learn from English. Contrary to popular belief, French is easier to learn for an English speaker than Spanish, since around 50% of today's English vocabulary is derived directly from French!
2) 220 millions speak it worldwide. Honestly, there isn't a single place I've been where I couldn't find someone able to converse in French, its a language spoken on the 5 continents, spread here and there.
3) The language of literature. One of the number one reason why I was so into English in high school was that I was determine to read Shakespeare in English. Wouldn't you like to be able to read Victor Hugo or Jean-Paul Sartre in their language?
4)The language of the food. French or not, I believe that French cuisine is one of the best in the world. Who doesn't like a nice, crispy croissant?
5) France is a top destination for tourism. You like mountains? Got it! Prefer the beach? City? Hot? Cold? Quiet? Busy? Enjoy the holidays of your choice thanks to France wide variety of landscape.
6) To understand French in American movies. Never wondered what Jean Dujardin told Leo DiCaprio in The Wolf of Wallstreet?
7) To sound fancy at a party. My students told me that they love telling their friends the proper pronunciation of "lingerie" "déjà vu" or "crêpe". Why not?
8) To boost your résumé. It sure does. First of all, speaking two languages will help you, no matter what. Second of all, French is most certainly, in terms of a difficulty / benefits ratio, the best second language you'll find.
9) To enrich your culture. France has a very rich History and learning French will enable you to travel and visit the country and its historical sites. I used to live right next to a 1000 years-old building in France!
10) French is developing quickly. Guess what? China is establishing lots of business all throughout Africa. And half the continent or so speak French. Business, my friend.
Comment below: what was your #1 Reason to start learning French?