10 things to see in Strasbourg and Alsace
Hello all! Bonjour tout le monde !
1) The cathedral: Simply ravishing. After nearly 300 years of construction, it was finally finished in 1439. It is still the second highest cathedral of France. Visible from the French Vosges on one side and all the way to the Black forest of Germany. Its figurines of Jesus and the apostles will enchante you, as well as the astronomical clock.
2) La Petite France: Located on the Grande Île part of the city, most certainly one of the loveliest part of the city for a stroll and some wandering along the river. Its timbered houses are most adored by the tourist and the place is filled with many little restaurants, don't miss out!
3) La Grande île: Since you're in the neighborhood, why not walk a little further? Down the canals of the old town, discover a place like no other.
4) Christkindelsmärik - Le Marché de Noël: (the Christmas market). The very first Christmas market in France, which goes back to 1570 is an institution. There you will find local merchants, craftsmen and splendid Christmas night lighting up the streets of Alsace's capital.
5) The local cuisine: You simply can't visit Strasbourg without trying one of its restaurant. Two of the most renowned are Le Tire-bouchon and Gurtlerhoft. Enjoy the local cuisine in these gorgeous settings.
6) Boat tours: Certainly the most enjoyable way to visit Strasbourg: by boat. Book a tour with Batorama and float down the Ill river along the European Parliament, the Grande Île district (see 1 and 2).
7) Museums: As you already know, Strasbourg is an old historical city but nevertheless a blend between past and modern times. No need to pick a side, give a look at the Alsatian museum as well as the Modern Art Museum for al the art aficionados!
8) La route des vins d'Alsace - the Wine road of Alsace. Because one simply can't visit Alsace without touring around some of the best wine cave. Not interested in wine, at all? Well, dry your tears, the view of the nearby villages of Eiguishem or Riquewihr alone will fill you up!
9) Colmar: 50km South of Strasbourg, lays the gorgeous city of Colmar. A beautiful haven adored by its visitors. You will get enchanted by the magic of the place, the canals, the timbered houses and flowers, a true jewel to finish your visit of the region.
10) Les Vosges. The gorgeous chain of mountains offers incredible sights all year long!